USB connection issues with WMDC / ActiveSync
13 May 2008
Version of WMDC / ActiveSync
Verify that you have a compatible version of the Microsoft Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC) or ActiveSync software installed on your desktop PC before connecting. Compatible versions are listed at the following web page.
Basic Troubleshooting Steps
Try each and every one of the basic troubleshooting steps as listed at the following web page.
Change USB Drivers
Note: On older Archer Field PC units you must have WM5 OS release 2.1.1 or higher installed.
Try changing the USB client drivers by performing the following steps.
- Tap on Start > Settings > Connections > "USB to PC" icon.
- Uncheck the "Enable advanced network functionality" checkbox, and then tap OK.
- Attach the USB Client (ActiveSync) cable.
If you will be keeping this change, on older product models you may also need to install the patch as is available at the following web page.
Clean Boot (Set to Factory Defaults)
Set the rugged handheld computer to factory defaults as described in the User Guide. Detailed instructions may also be available at the following web pages.
- Archer 2 and Allegro 2 Clean Boot - Hold Power button for 17 seconds, move "Set Factory Defaults" slider to YES, and then tap Exit.
- Mesa Clean Boot
- Allegro MX / TK6000 Clean Boot
- Archer Clean Boot
Reseat or Replace Port Connector (I/O) Module
Some of our rugged handheld computer product models have a module containing the ports, which can be reseated or replaced in the field (without needing to return for repair). Refer to the "Accessory and Maintenance Guides" under Documentation for the product to see instructions.