WMDC in Windows 11 or Windows 10
10 Mar 2021
This article provides instructions for installing Windows Mobile Device Center.
Note: This information is provided as a reference and does not imply that Juniper Systems will provide full support for the use of any specific third-party software.
Microsoft officially ended updates for Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC, formerly ActiveSync) with Windows Vista in 2008. WMDC may not work in newer Windows versions, particularly Windows 10 version 1703 (Creators Update) OS Build 15063 or newer, so an alternative is recommended.
WMDC in Newer Versions of Windows
Update 2 Nov 2021: We have verified that this information is also applicable for computers running Windows 11.
If you absolutely need to use WMDC in a newer version of Windows, some possible methods to get it to work are listed below.
Most Common Method
The most common method used to get WMDC to work is to run our WMDC-fixes-for-Win10.msi patch utility, which may fix WMDC automatically after a restart.
The video below provides step-by-step installation instructions.
Looking to replace your existing Windows Mobile device?
Juniper Systems manufactures a variety of rugged handhelds and tablets running Windows and Android operating systems.
- Download the 64-bit drvupdate-amd64.exe or the 32-bit drvupdate-x86.exe. There are two parts to this installation.
- For more information see Microsoft Windows Mobile Device Center—ActiveSync.
- Download our patch WMDC-fixes-for-Win10.msi.
- Restart your computer.
- Open WMDC on your computer.
- Plug in a cable between your handheld device and computer to establish a connection.
If the WMDC has any problems after running this utility and a restart, visit our article WMDC Will Not Fully Install, Connect, or Uninstall.
There are other methods of getting WMDC to work, but they are older and usually unnecessary.
If you are using a previous version of Windows 10, you can use WMDC-Helper.exe.
- Save the above file to your desktop PC.
- Locate the file through File Explorer.
- Right-click on the file to Run as administrator (even if you are already logged in as an admin).
If you are still encountering problems, you can find other solutions in our Previous WMDC Fixes for Windows 10 article.
Other Known WMDC Issues
- WMDC will not fully install, connect, or uninstall
- System security (Firewall or Virus Scan) conflict
- Common connection issues with ActiveSync/WMDC
Original article written August 16, 2018.