Internal GNSS no longer working
30 Jan 2020
If the internal u-Blox NEO M8 series GNSS receiver is no longer working in a Mesa 3 or Mesa 2 unit, some possible solutions are as follows.
Disable then Enable Drivers
- Right-click (tap-and-hold) on the bottom-left Start button, and then select Device Manager.
- Tap on Sensors > u-Blox GNSS Location Sensor, then select Disable device, and then tap Yes when asked
- When asked if you truly want to disable it, tap Yes.
- Once it has been disabled, then repeat steps to Enable device.
- If needed, follow the same steps with Device Manager > Ports (COM &LPT) > u-Blox Virtual COM Port.
- Once both drivers are enabled again with no warnings, verify the GPS function.
Drain all power from the internal receiver to reset it. Follow these steps.
- Close running apps then tap on Start > Power > Shut Down. Wait until both the screen as well as the red LED turn off (which can take a minute or two).
- Press and continue to hold the hardware Power button for 20 seconds (even as the red LED starts flashing rapidly at 10 seconds then stops at 17 seconds).
- Attach external power supply.
- Briefly press the Power button again then wait for the unit to complete booting back up.
- Test the GPS function.
Uninstall then Re-Install App Compatible u-Blox Drivers
Install and use the utility and instructions at the following web page.
Use Geode Connect Utility to Set u-Blox Receiver to Factory Defaults
Install and use the Geode Connect for Windows utility at the following web page to change settings or factory reset the u-Blox receiver.
For more advanced users, you can download, install, and use the u-Center for Windows utility from the u-Blox website to troubleshoot the receiver.