System Backup of the Field PC
1 Mar 2007
Note: This information is provided as a reference and does not imply that Juniper Systems will provide full support for the use of any specific third-party hardware or software with a Juniper Systems product.
Windows Mobile Field PCs
The entire system of a Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0 or higher Field PC (Archer, Allegro MX) is stored in non-volatile flash memory. This means that performing a system backup is not as critical as it was with devices that used previous versions of the Microsoft Windows Mobile and Windows CE operating systems which stored the majority of the system in volatile RAM memory.
If you would like to perform a full system backup of the Field PC, a third-party program is required, such as one of the following:
- SKKV - mobile tools -http://s-k-tools.com/?m_products.html
- SPB Backup / Clone -http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com
- Sprite Backup / Clone -http://www.spritesoftware.com/
- Resco Backup for Windows Mobile -http://download.cnet.com/Resco-Backup-Pocket-PC/3000-2094_4-10906059.html
- SOTI MobiControl -http://www.soti.net/
- Goodsync -http://www.goodsync.com/how-it-works/sync-applications/how-to-sync-windows-mobile
A system backup and restore feature may also be provided in one of the mobile device management solutions listed in the following article.
Windows CE Field PCs
Windows CE Field PCs (Allegro CX, CE, CE/DOS) store the operating system and included program files in an internal, non-volatile flash memory location ("C_Drive"), while the Windows registry (which includes the root My Computer folder, My Documents folder, the Program Files folder, desktop shortcuts, software registration, and software settings) is stored in volatile RAM memory. When installing software to the Allegro, we recommend that you specify the program be installed to the internal flash memory ("C_Drive").
To prevent the loss of the Windows registry that is stored in volatile RAM memory (which could occur due to such events as loss of power), the Field PC includes a utility for making a backup of the Windows registry to the internal, non-volatile flash memory. This utility is accessed by tapping on the Start menu > Programs > Utilities > Save System or SaveRegistry.
If you would like to perform a full system backup of the Field PC, you must complete the following procedures:
- Connect the Field PC to the desktop PC.
- Open Microsoft ActiveSync on your desktop PC, and then click on the Tools menu > Backup/Restore. Follow the instructions in this window to perform a backup of the Windows registry.
- Manually create a copy of the entire internal flash memory ("C_Drive") of the Field PC, including hidden files and folders. You can view the entire contents (including hidden files) of the flash memory by changing the folder settings under the View menu > Options in "My Computer" on the Field PC.