Solar panel power supply
10 Feb 2017
Note: This information is provided as a reference and does not imply that Juniper Systems will provide full support for the use of any specific third-party charging accessory with a Juniper Systems product.
A solar panel can be used to charge spare batteries (recommended) or to possibly directly charge the rugged handheld computer while in remote field locations. The solar panel charger should meet the specifications listed below:
- Mesa 3: 30 W power supply with a 12 V output
- For more information, see Power Input Requirement Limits
- Mesa 2: 12-15.5 V DC at 1.67 A (20 W) or higher
- Archer 2 and Allegro 2: 12 to 24 V DC at 1.67 A (20 W) or higher
- Legacy Models: 12 V DC at 800 mA or higher
- Inside barrel (positive terminal): 2.1 mm diameter
- Outside barrel (negative terminal): 5.5 mm diameter
Note: The solar panel can be attached directly to the rugged handheld's power port (DC jack) to charge the currently inserted battery, but fluctuations in the power supplied by solar panels (determined by time of day, clouds, etc.) can cause the handheld to turn on whenever the power fluctuates significantly. It is recommended to use our 12-32VDC Power Conditioner or operate a legacy Allegro Field PC model in Vehicle Mode (as explained in the User Guide) if directly attached to a solar panel.
Several vehicle-mounted and hand carry options are available. A few portable options are listed below:
- Sunlinq - Portable (Foldable) Solar Panel Charger
- Voltaic Systems - OffGrid Solar Backpack
- Goal Zero - solar chargers (for medium size devices)
- Talco Electronics - Portable Solar Binder
For more information about solar power options, see Can't Get to an Outlet? Solar Charge Your Rugged Handheld
It is preferable to use an external battery charger (travel charger) with the solar panel. The external battery charger comes with a vehicle auxiliary power outlet (cigarette lighter port) adapter, which can connect directly to the cigarette lighter attachment of the solar panel. Also, using an external battery charger allows you to carry two or more batteries and swap the batteries each morning, leaving the depleted battery to charge using the solar panel. For more information about purchasing an external battery charger, please contact our Sales Department.
Original article from 21 May 2012