Form app generators (rapid application development) and databases
17 May 2010
There are many ways to store and access database information on our rugged handheld computer products. Below are some database and/or form generating systems that are compatible with the Microsoft Windows Mobile and Windows CE operating systems used on our products.
Form Generating Software
Forms can be generated to access database information on the Field PC. Some of the form applications that have been used on the Field PCs in the past are listed below.
- DataPlus Professional (by Electronic Data Solutions)
- ESRI ArcGIS Mobile (such as our IntuiTrace software)
- Syware Visual CE
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2008, 2005, .NET 2003**
- Microsoft Embedded Visual C++ 4.0**
- ESRI ArcPad Application Builder (Form Wizard)
- CreativityCorp Mobile Data Studio
- EasyDC (by R. White Woods, Inc., requires PocketDOS)
Additional options may be described at the following web pages.
- http://pendragonsoftware.com/ (HTML5 (using ZetaKey web browser) or old Palm OS emulator with backup software)
- http://www.winmobile-forms.com/ (GeoAge FAST)
- http://www.fieldworker.com/mobile-data-collection.php (Java app using the CrE-ME JVM)
For additional references and explanations, please refer to the following web pages.
Database information systems that have been used on the Field PCs in the past are listed below.
- SQLite (cubeSQL)
- Microsoft SQL Mobile (formerly SQL CE)
- FairCOM c-tree and c-treeSQL
- Sequite Software CodeBase
- Sybase SQLAnywhere
- McObject extremeDB, Perst
- Microsoft Access (CDB)*
* Note: The deprecated Microsoft Pocket Access is not fully compatible with our rugged handheld computer products. Microsoft Access can be used to generate a database (MDB, DBF) file that can be converted to a compressed database (CDB) file and used on the Field PC, but Microsoft Access can no longer be directly used to generate forms for Microsoft Windows CE / Mobile. To access the database file instead of using Pocket Access, use one of the form-generating programs listed above.
** Note: A patch must be installed onto the Allegro CX Field PC to be able to use ADOCE in a Visual Studio or eVC++ application to access database information. The patch is available at:
ADOCE for Allegro CX