Can't Boot- No Valid NK.BIN
2 Feb 2002
If the Allegro loads to the Boot Menu or DOS prompt screen and has an error message at the bottom stating Can`t Boot- No Valid NK.BIN or No Bootable Sources Found, then your internal flash memory (C_Drive) has not loaded properly, or the Windows CE operating system (NK.BIN) file has been deleted or corrupted.
This problem can be caused by a number of reasons, such as-
- Not enough power remaining in the battery to fully load flash memory
- The NK.BIN file on the internal flash memory has been relocated, deleted, or corrupted
- A significant static shock (ESD event) has occurred to the Allegro causing the internal flash memory to not load properly
- The internal flash memory or a connection to the memory is damaged and needs to be repaired
The most common cause of this problem is when an Allegro has been left for a week or longer without removing the battery, plugging in the wall charger, or placing the Allegro in the USB/Power Dock. For more information on preventing this problem in the future, please visit the Preventing Missing C_Drive Issue website.
For several possible solutions, please proceed to the below FAQs in the following order.
- Reset the System
- Remove Power and Restore System
- Load OS from Card and Restore Hard Drive
- Request a Repair