Permanent Guest connection to WMDC or ActiveSync
19 Apr 2012
Note: This information is provided as a reference and does not imply that Juniper Systems will provide full support for any changes made to the Windows registry of a desktop computer.
Some users prefer not to create a partnership with their desktop computer and Field PC through WMDC / ActiveSync. This requires the user to complete a connection to your Field PC as a guest. The New Partnership setup screen appears each time a connection is made. To keep this New Partnership screen from popping up every time you connect, and to automatically connect as a guest for every connection, you need to modify the Windows registry on the desktop PC.
Back up the Registry
Before you modify the registry, make sure to back up the registry, and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For instructions on how to back up, edit, and restore the registry, complete the following steps:
2. Scroll down to the Information About Editing the Registry heading.
3. Click on the article number that addresses backing up, editing, and restoring the registry of the Windows operating system you are using. This opens the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.
4. Read and follow the instructions for backing up the registry of your PC.
Warning: Use the Registry Editor at your own risk. If you use the Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that could require you to re-install the operating system on your PC. Microsoft does not guarantee that a system can be recovered when the Registry Editor is used incorrectly. Juniper Systems is not liable if problems that occur from editing the Windows registry.
Editing the Registry
After the registry on your PC is backed up, you can make the registry changes that allow Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC) or ActiveSync to automatically connect the desktop PC to the Field PC as a Guest. Most of this information is taken from the Help and Support section of the Microsoft website at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;270136.
To edit the Windows registry, complete the following steps:
1. Click on Start > Run (or just place your cursor in the search box), type "RegEdit", and then press Enter. Or click on Programs | Accessories | Notepad on your desktop to open untitled Notepad document.
2. Make the following Windows registry changes. Or enter the following lines of text in the document exactly as they appear below (this includes using capitals) and include a blank line at the bottom of the file.
REGEDIT4 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows CE Services] "GuestOnly"=dword:00000001
For Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC) in Windows Vista/7/8, you may also need to include one or more of the following registry key changes.
Enter (or replace %windir%\WindowsMobile\wmdc.exe with) %windir%\WindowsMobile\wmdcbase.exe
"Windows Mobile Device Center"=hex(2):25,00,77,00,69,00,6e,00,64,00,69,00,72,\
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows CE Services] or
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows CE Services]
"Sync window display mode"=dword:00000000
3. Click on File | Save As.
4. Select the Desktop option in Save in: box.
5. Type guest.reg in the File name: box.
Note: You must have the .reg extension to merge this edit into the registry.
6. Click on the Save button.
7. Go to the desktop of your PC and double-click on the guest.reg file to merge the entries into the registry.
8. Click on the Yes button on the Registry Editor pop-up box that asks, "Are you sure you want to add the information in ** (the location of the guest.reg file on your PC) ** to the registry?"
9. Click on the OK button on the Registry Editor pop-up box that states, Information in ** (the location of the guest.reg file on your PC) ** has been successfully entered into the registry.
Confirm the Registry Edit
To verify that the guest.reg file is entered correctly into the registry, complete the following steps:
1. Connect your Field PC to Microsoft WMDC / ActiveSync.
2. Wait while an connection is established.
If the Field PC connects automatically as a Guest, the registry has been successfully edited.
If ever again wanting to setup a partnership with the PC, this must be done directly from the main WMDC (under Mobile Device Settings) or ActiveSync (under the File menu) window while connected. Or you can remove and revert the above edited Windows registry keys while not connected.