First time connection to desktop computer
23 Mar 2011
Before connecting the rugged handheld computer to a desktop computer, verify that you have the needed connection software (with drivers) installed. Such software may be one of the following.
- Microsoft Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC, used for connecting Windows Mobile/CE devices to Windows Vista/7, older version comes pre-install in Vista)
- Microsoft ActiveSync (used for connecting Windows Mobile/CE devices to Windows XP/2000/98)
Additional or alternative custom connection/synchronization software may be needed, such as one or more of the following from Juniper Systems.
- IntuiTrace desktop manager
- Everglade- EvDesktop utility
- FRS Suite Manager
- Datalink for FRS
- Datalink for Windows
Once the proper connection/synchronization drivers and/or software has/have been installed, follow the instructions provided with the software to connect. Often the connection process is as simple as just connecting the USB Client cable (and maybe clicking a software button/icon). Connecting via serial cable, Bluetooth, Infrared (IrDA), or some other method may require additional steps such as those provided at the following links.
- Bluetooth ActiveSync/WMDC setup
- Serial cable connection to ActiveSync
- Infrared connection to ActiveSync (older Allegro models only)