Old charger will not charge newer product model
28 Apr 2016
Our rugged handheld computer products have all shared similar wall chargers. As we have introduced new product models, the only real change with the wall charger has been how much electric current can potentially be output at maximum from the charger. Each generation of our products has provided bigger batteries that can charge faster, thus requiring a higher maximum output from the charger.
Using an older charger with a newer product model may not provide enough power to allow the battery pack(s) to charge (at least not at a fast enough speed to complete charging within a reasonable time frame). It is recommended to only use a newer charger with a new product model. The newer wall charger should be able to be used with older products as well.
The following is a list of the wall charger models that have been provided with our rugged handheld computer products, in order from newest to oldest.
- Phihong PSAC45W-120 (45W) - Optional for use with Office Dock for Mesa 3 and Mesa 2. Compatible with all dock and handheld models.
- Phihong PSAA30R-120 (30W) - Shipped with Mesa 3. Backwards compatible with previous model rugged handhelds.
- Phihong PSAA20R-120 (20W) - Shipped with Mesa 2, Allegro 3, Archer 3, as well as later Allegro 2 and Archer 2 units.
- Phihong PSA18R-120P (18W) - Shipped with previous Allegro 2 and Archer 2 units, as well as TK6000 and original Mesa.
- Phihong PSM12R-120 (12W), PSM11R-120 (11W), or K-Tec - Shipped with original Archer and all previous Allegro models.
Mesa 3 requires 30W or higher charger, especially through Dock. Otherwise, most often our chargers can output 12 volts at up to 1.67 amps (or 20 watts). Old chargers (which output 12V at only up to 0.8A or ~10W) may just not be able to put out enough juice to run and/or charge our latest product models.